Wednesday, October 7, 2015

So I'm a Workaholic...

Okay, apparently I lied in my last post when I said I was taking a couple of days off from the writing. When my normal work time rolled around, I found myself in the same place as always, typing away on something new. But the way I see it, I have two late shifts coming up at the day job this week, so those would be better suited for taking off. Why not work when I actually have the time, and take a break when I don't, right?

So I started a new project. Despite what else I thought in that last post (which was just last night, for crying out loud), it is NOT the next Cochran book, nor is it my continuing with Justicar. It's something completely different.

It's horror, but more of a psychological variant rather than the gore or monsters I've been doing. The subject matter came to me, and I knew I wanted to do something with it, but I didn't know how to do it without straight up copying dozens of other writers who have done similar subjects in the past.

Then it came to me, and I wanted to get to work on it. So I did.

This is a departure for me, as it will be written in first person narrative (I did this, I saw that). Two things immediately became clear to me. First, this was going to almost demand I put myself into the shoes of my main character to a degree I never have before. Second, if I did that, it was going to end up this strange mish-mash of fact and fiction that might make some people in my life concerned about my well-being.

So let me put a disclaimer up right now, with only one chapter done. I AM NOT THE MAIN CHARACTER IN THIS NOVEL. HIS VIEWS ARE NOT MY OWN, NOR WOULD I ACT AS HE WILL OVER THE COURSE OF THE STORY.

Sorry to yell, just wanted to be clear on this point.

Yes, some of the things this character thinks or believes are the same as me. But the same could be said of many of my other characters, too. Just because he's the one telling the story does not mean he is an autobiographical representation of myself. There is no need to worry about my sanity any more than you might already. It is, as all novels are, a work of fiction.

Glad we got that out of the way.

I'm not going to say too much more about it. Like I said, only one chapter's done right now, and I honestly don't know how far along this one will go. I may reach a point where living in this guy's head is too much for me. Therefore, I'll only post more and add it to the progress meter once I'm confident it's going to go the distance. What I will say is that this one may end up as a novella rather than a full-length novel. Again, I don't know where this guy's going to take me.

But as soon as I know, so will you.

No comments:

Post a Comment