Monday, September 7, 2015

Justicar Update #1

When I decided to revisit this one, I wasn't sure what to expect. A part of me feared that even though I could remember where I wanted to go with it, once I actually sat down to start back up on it I would not be able to get back into the world, the characters, or the style I was using.

I am happy to report, this was not the case.

Once I transferred the first two chapters I'd completed into a new manuscript and re-read the last chapter to get back to where the story left off, it actually came pretty easy. When I left off tonight at the conclusion of Chapter Three, not only did I remember everything I needed to, but I actually discovered that it did not play out exactly as I intended it to previously. That's a good thing. If I'm not surprised by where the story's going, how are you supposed to be?

Ultimately it was one change that I came to realize needs to happen later in the story, closer to the end of Act One. If it happened now, the cat's out of the bag too soon. I want the build up to the antagonist to be seen through the eyes of the protagonists, and if I jumped the shark, what would I have left? Set up to a fight, then the end, and I end up with a novella or short story for something that I feel deserves an epic novel.

All in all, it feels like I'm on the right track here. I won't say it's not strange, writing something so wildly different after just doing two back to back horror novels set in modern times, but it still feels right.

In the end, isn't that what matters?

No comments:

Post a Comment